[daip] Instillation Issue

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 27 18:34:51 EST 2014

>> I was wondering if I could ask you a few more questions as I am stuck
>> trying to get AIPS to run. I didn't fully understand parts of the
>> instillation, but I'm going back now and editing the files. Currently my
>> issue is with the User Data Areas. I can't get AIPS to recognize the
>> specified directory and keep getting the message "DADEVS.PL
>> <http://DADEVS.PL> error - no disks selected at all" found in the first
>> attachment "Any Name". It's my understanding that any valid file
>> directory should work. I changed the directory location in the
>> DADEVS.LIST and NETSP files and put the SPACE and MSD001000.001; files
>> into the folder but it still won't run.
>>
>> I then changed the folder name to the host
>> name ROBERT-DOUGHERTYS-COMPUTER-2 with an _1 at the end and it appears
>> to run, but then gets screwed up farther down the line with the output
>> found in the second attachment labeled "Host Name".
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are stumped right now.

i have looked through the back correspondence and have a couple comments:

1. Never install as root (super user), install.pl attempts to prevent this.

2. $AIPS_ROOT is the highest level directory in the aips installation.
the 31DEC14 code tree goes below it as do the dat, DA00, FITS, etc
directories.  This may be the cause of numerous failures in the
install.pl process.

3. The install is simple:  "perl install.pl -n" in the directory where
you want to put AIPS_ROOT and have copied install.pl.

3. There are 2 ways to specify data areas.  They can be optional (with a
minus in column 1 of DADEVS.LIST) in which case the path name must have
the host name in it so that the script will recognize the data areas for
the particular host.  We have > 100 computers running from one AIPS
installation and this allows appropriate data areas to be found.  Of
course, we do not use very long host names like yours.  The alternative
is to make a data area "required" with a + sign in column one.  Then
that area will be used by all hosts using this installation.  If you
have only one, then this distinction is not meaningful except that
required files can have any name.  They must however have a RW file
named SPACE (made with touch as 0 bytes) in the directory.

4.  By the time I saw this message forwarded there were no attachments
so I do not know what your later problem might be.