[daip] [!4593]: aips - SPECR

Michael Bietenholz do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Feb 26 18:04:33 EST 2014

Michael Bietenholz updated #4593
--------------------------------

SPECR
------

           Ticket ID: 4593
                 SLA: NRAO E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 26 February 2014 08:16 PM
             Updated: 26 February 2014 11:04 PM
      Resolution Due: 06 March 2014 08:17 PM (7d 21h 12m)

A simple linear interpolation/extrapolation would be useful for me in this instance.  However, you probably have other things to do, so if SPECR's somewhat strange resulting spectra don't bother its more normal users I would say don't worry about it.

I think I've only ever actually used SPECR it to blow up single-channel data sets into many channels for the purpose of then running some sort of Monte-Carlo thing after adding independent noise per channel.  I think this would almost always involve model data of some kind (rather than real data).  If the model is generated by UVMOD then it doesn't matter what SPECR does to the original data.  I think its only in the present case where a student here was using UVSUB to generate model-vis. from clean-comp data, and I reasoned that he could run the UVSUB OPCO='REPL' on a single-channel copy of the data, then blow it up using SPECR, then add noise using UVMOD.  Instead he just has to blow it up first, then run UVSUB then run UVMOD and it again becomes unimportant what SPECR does with the original visibilities (which is just
a template anyway).