[daip] install issues

Neal A. Miller nmiller4 at stevenson.edu
Wed Feb 5 17:25:45 EST 2014

Hi.

I'm trying to install AIPS on a Mac desktop (OS 10.8.5), and I've hit some of the usual problems. A bit of this is clunkiness that I have to go back and forth with my university sysadmins about updating files since I don't have root privileges (and they are Windows people, too), so I'm trying to make sure that I have as many fixes at the ready for when I've got their attention. My issues are entirely with processes like the TV server, and I've tried workarounds in the aips manager FAQ. This is a summary:
* I will need to do the shared memory fix. My Xwindows is "XQuartz" which seems to have installed on /var instead of /etc . Will the "sysctl.conf" file go in /etc or some directory off the file tree for XQuartz in /var ? Will there be any concerns regarding file permissions?
* The display variable is also an issue. I get the "DISPLAY /tmp/launch-I0vso7/org.macosforge.xquartz:0" message, and when setting DISPLAY as localhost:0 I'm then queried for password. My password doesn't work, and the creation of the "authorized_keys2" file within ~./ssh did not provide a fix.

I have gotten the /etc/services file correctly updated, and I do get MSGSRV and TEKSRV windows.

Any advice/help that you might provide will be greatly appreciated!

Take care,
Neal

Dr. Neal Miller
Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematics and Physical Sciences
Stevenson University