[daip] [!4000]: aips - SPLIT and BPASS troubles in 31DEC13

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 30 11:14:24 EDT 2013

Eric Greisen updated #4000
--------------------------

                 Due: - Cleared - (was: 01 November 2013 07:35 AM)

SPLIT and BPASS troubles in 31DEC13
-----------------------------------

           Ticket ID: 4000
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 29 October 2013 10:45 AM
             Updated: 30 October 2013 03:14 PM

The assumption made most places is that the CL table contains records spanning all times in the data set for all sources.
Until this year, the CL table read routines did not pay attention to source number in the CL records.  That is a gross
error in that CL table values depend on source (elevation corrections, weather, etc) and was not serious when the CL
table contained the expected records at the beginning and end of every scan.  When CALI led to fewer entries in the
CL table, data for source N was applied to source M over large times.  I have worked hard to fix the code to avoid
this but odd CL tables may still trip it up.  I have added stuff to avoid going past the end of file in all cases.

As explained in the documentation, the expectation is that CALI would be run multiple times so that all
sources, timeranges, antennas, etc would have some sort of data for all scans.  You could run CLCAL with CALI
but include all sources, not just target ones.  In any case, I have fixed the low level routine to avoid being tripped
over the situation in your data set.

If you are unsure what happens to your output CL table (and CLCAL is confusing), use PRTAB to look (not RPARM
which lets you look at only rows with specific values in antenna, time, etc.) or SNPLT.