[daip] [!3897]: aips - Combining AIPS SN/CL tables

NRAO Helpdesk do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 23 10:47:16 EDT 2013

Drew Medlin updated #3897
-------------------------

       Staff (Owner): Eric Greisen (was: -- Unassigned --)

Combining AIPS SN/CL tables
---------------------------

           Ticket ID: 3897
                 SLA: ALMA E2E
      Template Group: Default
             Created: 23 September 2013 06:57 PM
             Updated: 23 September 2013 06:57 PM
                 Due: 25 October 2013 02:47 PM (2d 0h 0m)
      Resolution Due: 31 October 2013 02:47 PM (8d 0h 0m)

Hi Eric,

I am having some trouble with getting SN table information properly entered/copied into CL tables for all IFs the specific way we'd like to have it, and wondered if you may have a solution to this:

We are observing VLA 2 basebands, 8 IFs each, so get IFs 1-16 in AIPS main file. We are integrating for about 1 min per target source (250-300 sources per observing run), and planned to use masers within these sources for calibration. If we find a maser in any of the IFs 1-8 we want to apply that phase to all of the IFs1-8, and then similarly for IFs9-16. My problem is how to create a final 16IF working SN/CL table in this way. Here is what I've tried:

1) Running CALIB for the specific IF and channel and source => a solution in the SN table for given time/source/IF. The problem is that even if I define an IF, CALIB is solving for all other IFs using the inner 75% of the IF and I don't want solutions for those IFs, just the maser IF.

2) I SPLATed out the individual IFs with masers, and ran CALIB on the maser sources, creating one SN table with solutions for each IF. Then I copied SN tables for splatted IFs 1-8 to one file and ran CLCAL, giving me one CL table with all solutions for IFs1-8, and one for IFs9-16 (although the two CL table here have 1IF each). However, I don't know how to combine the two CL tables into a 16IF table for the original 16IF file (I'd like to use this file since we're splitting out sources and doing POSSM on those files to search for new masers, and while I could have one IF1-8 file, and one IF9-16 it will double our processing time since we need to run double amounts of SPLITs/POSSMs so I'd like to avoid that if possible...).

3) I tried copying the SN tables to the original data file, edited (TBOUT/TBIN) the NO_IF to be 16 instead of one, and then tried applying CLCOP to copy over the IF value to the other IFs. However, I need to run CLCOP several times and it writes over/removes the previous entries I did to the previous CL table (so first doing IFs 1-8 gives a nice CL table with info for IF1-8, but then trying to create a new CL table containing IF1-8 plus new for IF9-16 keeps only IF1 info, removing 2-8, and writes the new info 9-16...).

I looked at SNP2D as well, but don't think it will do the trick either. There must be some way to incorporate the SN table information into a final CL table, is there an obvious task I have missed? Or, would it be possible to change the CALIB procedure to only solve for a single IF?

Thank you,
 Ylva Pihlstrom