[daip] Aips installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 11 22:21:59 EDT 2013

On 10/9/2013 1:06 AM, Stavros Nonis wrote:
> Dear Madam/Sir,
> I am Stavros Nonis a Phd student of the Hellenic Open University
> (H.O.U-Greece) in the field of Radio Astronomy and Astroparticle
> Physics. I try to download install.pl <http://install.pl> file for
> binary installation of AIPS (http://www.aips.nrao.edu/latest.shtml)
> but the response is that "the server ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu:21
> requires a username and password. I have downloaded and installed AIPS
> before but due to some problems that I face running AIPS I decided to
> uninstall and re-install it. Probably I have made some mistakes during
> the installation and I decided to make it again (and take more care in
> the steps during installation). But when I try it the response is that
> required username and password. I would like your help about this. How
> can I register in order to obtain username and password?. Thank you
> very much in advance for your help,
> Best Regards,
> Stavros Nonis

Go to ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/31DEC13 and download
install.pl.

Unfortunately, it appears that the government shut down that has caused
us all to
be furloughed (unemployed) has left the web pages up but the ftp server
down.  I
am afraid that you cannot fetch a new AIPS until the government goes
back to work.