[daip] Fwd: [Ticket#109190064315] AIPS does not compute correctly

Amy Mioduszewski amiodusz at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 25 12:36:26 EDT 2013

RZ Support wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> can you help us with the matter described below?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Jan Behrend
>
> --
> MAX-PLANCK-INSTITUT für Radioastronomie
> Rechenzentrum
> rz-support at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
> https://rzwiki.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
> --
>
> ---- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von caromora at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de ---
>
> The problem is when I run the task COMB,
> Opcode: 'POLC' to calculate the polarized intensities. It is suppose to
> compute a noise correction which corrects for the bias introduced when
> combining the Stokes Q and U images. It does not seem to take this noise
> correction into account so I get only positive noise values, when I am
> suppose to get both positive and negative noise values. I have done this
> many times in AIPS and it has worked perfectly before. I had this same
> problem last year when running ''AIPS'', but I switched to ''AIPS NEW''
> and it was working fine. For some strange reason it has stopped working
> in ''AIPS NEW'' but I only noticed about a week ago. I asked a colleague
> to try running the same task in his computer and it also doesn't work
> properly on his.

The reason it no longer works in AIPS NEW is because what was AIPS NEW last year
is now AIPS OLD.  Every year a new aips comes out and all the versions "shift".
  This is the second report of a problem with POLC in COMB.  It is a good clue
that it should work in the 31DEC2011 version of AIPS but does not work in the
31DEC2012 or 31DEC2013.  I am working on it, but the expert on this is on
vacation so it may take a while.

Amy