[daip] aips imagr

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 7 12:37:50 EST 2013

Cao Hongmin wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> In aips and for VLBI data, we first do amplitude calibration and then do
> fringe-fitting for phase calibration,
> does amplitude calibration (eg. the amplitude calibration is quite bad)
> will influence the fringe-fitting solution?
>
> I am ambiguous with the concept -" image aliasing", what kinds of
> reasons will result in image aliasing, and could we can find some
> methods to alleviate it?
>
> Does natural weight will have a larger field of view, comparing with
> uniform weight?

In FRING, the examination is basically done over phase alone without
weighting by amplitude.  Data weights may enter a little and that might
be affected by amplitude calibration, but this should have little affect.

Image aliasing arises from the Fourier transform of the narrow "bed of
nails" function used to put the image on a regular grid of pixels.  The
actual image that you make goes to infinity mathematically and is
replicated every 1/(pixel-spacing) in both the X and Y directions.  One
can see this is say Westerbork images in which a strong circular
sidelobe ring touches the edge of the image and is reflected back into
the main image.  In general, aliasing matters if there are strong beam
sidelobes (the very regular Westerbork array makes such) and there are
sources outside the field which you have imaged.  In VLBI, sources
outside are diminished enormously by smearing in time and bandwidth are
are essentially never a problem.  VLBI arrays rarely have a lot of
regularity and so are inclined to have smaller external sidelobes.  Note
that Cleaning with the UV-plane based algorithm in AIPS should reduce or
eliminate the problem, so long as aliased signals are not picked up in
the Clean as real objects and even then those "objects" are often
removed as the Clean progresses.

Useful field of view is set by the bandwidth and time averaging
primarily although in VLA observations the curvature of the sky forces
one to use small facets to counteract issues with phasing.  In VLBI, sky
curvature is never relevant since the other two kill the visibilities
after only very small angles.  Weighting has nothing to do with these
issues.

Again let me recommend books on interferometry with long, much thought
out explanations, rather than brief remarks in e-mail from me.