[daip] TEKSRV MSGSRV and TV errors

Sachiko Onodera sachiko.onodera at meisei-u.ac.jp
Mon Jul 15 07:54:17 EDT 2013

I am running 31DEC12 aips on Ubuntu 13.04.
It works well on my account (sonodera), but fails running TEKSRV, MSGSRV and TV on my student's account (uchima) on the same PC (galaxy).

The output when I run /home/aips/START_AIPS on my account is

sonodera at galaxy:~$ /home/aips/START_AIPS
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.014
  (Using global default file /home/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/DATA/GALAXY_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called galaxy
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on galaxy asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on GALAXY asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC12 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC12) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.014
XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on galaxy
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
XASERVERS: Start XAS on galaxy, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 980,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on galaxy, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on galaxy, DISPLAY :0

The output when my student run /home/aips/START_AIPS on his account is

uchima at galaxy:~$ /home/aips/START_AIPS
[...]

No protocol specified
XAS: cannot connect to X server :0
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on galaxy, DISPLAY :0
No protocol specified
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on galaxy, DISPLAY :0
No protocol specified
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0

The $AIPS_ROOT is /home/aips and both I and my student have permission to read, write and execute all files under /home/aips .

Would you tell me how he can run TEKSRV, MSGSRV, and TV on his own account?

Thanks,

Sachiko Onodera

Sachiko Onodera
Meisei University, Tokyo