[daip] Curious problem with INDXR/CLCAL...

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 11 17:36:21 EST 2013

Nissim Kanekar wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I'm running INDXR (and later FRING and CLCAL) on a Q-band EVLA dataset and get
> the following error message:
>
> GANGA > INDXR1: Task INDXR  (release of 31DEC13) begins
> GANGA > INDXR1: A CL table already exists: a new one will not be created
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFI2: DELAY 1
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFI2: DELAY 2
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 23553 THRU = 24576
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFIO: OPER = WRIT LUN = 16 NREC =       24
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFI2: BEYOND EOF = 23552
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> GANGA > INDXR1: HIIO ON LUN, NREC     16     24 EXPAND ERROR      3
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFI2: DELAY 1
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFI2: DELAY 2
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 23553 THRU = 24576
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFIO: OPER = WRIT LUN = 16 NREC =       24
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZFI2: BEYOND EOF = 23552
> GANGA > INDXR1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> GANGA > INDXR1: HIIO ON LUN, NREC     16     24 EXPAND ERROR      3
> GANGA > INDXR1: Appears to have ended successfully
> GANGA > INDXR1: ganga 31DEC13 TST: Cpu=     57.2  Real=     62  IO=    123574
>

> I get the same error on later running FRING and CLCAL, but in both cases the
> task claims to have ended successfully. I wondered if this was a problem with
> the message file and hence closed AIPS, deleted the MSD file and started AIPS
> again, but got the same problem. INDXR seems to run fine on other files on the
> same disk. I was wondering if you might have come across this error before and
> might know how to sort it out.

My suspicion is that the history file for this data set has an indicator
at its start that tells it that the file is larger than it actually is.
  I note that subroutine HIIO updated that parameter even when the
ZEXPND call had an error.  That is wrong, so I have fixed it but it is
too late to help this file and I probably will not relink every task
either.  This error is ancient and rarely causes problems since ZEXPND
should always work for small amounts of disk.

Cheers