[daip] USUBA issue.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 5 11:47:00 EST 2013

Craig Walker wrote:
> I am testing USUBA and APCAL.
>
> I am using a data set that I used before.  I deleted all CL and SN
> tables and AN tables 2 and 3.USUBA ran ok.  Therefore the fix that
> allowed some antennas to not be there seems to have worked.   After
> USUBA, INDXR ran ok.  The subarrays show up in a LISTR SCAN listing.  I
> tried running VPLOT on each subarray separately, and it looks
> reasonable.  Subarray=-1 looks reasonable with many more points than the
> 3 individual subarray.  I then tried applying CL 1.  That looks ok with
> a specific subarray chosen, but not with subarray=-1.  That is probably
> a "feature" and I can sort of imagine why it is there, even though in
> this case, it is not too desirable.
>
> Then the fun started.  I ran VLBACALA.  The SN table from ACCOR looks
> like it contains all subarrays.  But the CL table only contains subarray
> 1, so somewhere in SNSMO and CLCAL, only one subarray was processed.  If
> I run VLBACALA separately for each subarray, VLBACALA clearly tries to
> merge the results, but fails.
>
> Also, it looks like APCAL does not process stations that do not have GC
> and/or WX data, so my foreign stations disappear.  Thus to really make
> all this work, I have to cobble gain and weather data somehow.
>
> VLBACALA, when dealing with the multiple subarrays, does get confused in
> its messages about the CL tables.  My run for subarray 2 claimed at the
> end that CL 5 contained the gain corrections, right after claiming that
> it was trying to merge the results into CL 4.  There are only 4 CL
> tables.  CL4 is sparsely populated both in that it contains a smallish
> number of scans - only subarray 2 - and the points are spaced widely in
> time - more like the SN table than something influenced by the CL table.
>
> I've run out of time today.  But the conclusion seems to be the USUBA
> works with the incompletely populated AN table (loaded with VLBA
> numbering with 2 antennas missing).  And APCAL runs on those data.  But
> VLBACALA is not really working for the subarray 0 case.

I tested VLBACALA not by running it directly but by doing each step in
it one at a time (after my revised USUBA).  The CL table continues to
have all sources, antennas, and subarrays until APCAL.  At that point,
the fact that only antenna 1 has TY values causes all other antennas to
be omitted from the SN table.  APCAL is written to do only 1 subarray
and so explains the subarray=0 -> 1 comment in the help file.  I think
that I can make it loop over subarrays (in the new TST only).