[daip] Issue with new accounts : write permissions ?

Atish Kamble akamble at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 12 11:55:34 EDT 2012

Dear Eric,

First, thank you for setting up AIPS accounts.

We now have three new accounts setup at nrao ( akamble, pwilliam and
scharab).  Yesterday we were setting up the file structures on lustre to
run AIPS on cfa-pipe-1 and cfa-pipe-2, and had difficulty running AIPS.
(See our setup in /lustre/cfa-transient/akamble/AIPS/ for example).

Our attempts to run aips (following usually successful procedures) have
failed, however. We got the following error message

#-------------------------------------#
ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
#-------------------------------------#

We have .dadevs.always setup, and starting AIPS does seem to recognize the
correct directories.  We could not chgrp to aipsuser, but noted Ashley's
directories were set to cfa-transient and not aipsuser, so this did not
seem to be the problem.

All three accounts have run into the same problem. We went through checking
the write permissions etc. and comparing with other working accounts e.g.
Ashley's but could not fix this. It is not clear to us if this requires
some tweaking at your end, or we have missed an important step.  Any
solution will need to be applied to the accounts for akamble, schakrab and
pwilliam.

It will be really helpful if you could kindly look into this.

Thanks much,
- Atish .