[daip] AIPS binary download seems broken

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 23 11:08:07 EDT 2012

Bryan Butler wrote:

> it'd be awfully nice to be able to do a binary install from a local tar
> file, instead of forcing download.  just in case something goes weird
> during the install.  for folks who are behind a slow connection (me
> right now).
>

> Bryan Butler wrote, On 10/23/12 2:34 :
>>
>> during download...
>>
>> MACINT/LIBR/GNU/READLINE.SHR ->
>> /Volumes/gala/AIPS/31DEC12/SYSTEM/UNIX/READLINE.SHR

A tar file that contained all of the binaries would be as large as what
you are now downloading, but, as a single file, would be much more
likely to fail in the download.  Unfortunately, slow connections are
just that - but why is Berkeley slow when I just read a Gbyte from Spain
in remarkably little time?

The READLINE thing looks fishy although the text is actually not needed
by you.  I will take a look at that.

Eric