[daip] AIPS help needed

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed May 30 16:21:50 EDT 2012

Sayali Avachat wrote:

> windu.> TVFLG1: ZCREAT ERROR 1 FOR M87_04_AX .TVFLGR. 1
>
> windu.> TVFLG1: GRIDTB: UNABLE TO CREATE OUTPUT IMAGE FILE - ERROR 5

> I am not sure why am I getting this error. I do not understand it since
> it gives only error number and does not explain anything

I agree that this error is obscure and you are right to ask for help.
The error was not supposed to occur so we were not more informative.
The routine GRIDTB attempted to make a work image (MA file) and
discovered that there is already on your disk a file by that name (the
hidden aips name, not the M87_04_AX name).

This is a result of your deleting things manually without knowing what
you are doing.  You have left things behind that are not accessible
since they are not in the CA (catalog) file for that data disk area and
so AIPS assumes that it can use the catalog slot for something new -
when it fails the slot stays open and so the next task will try to use
that slot and more failure will occur.

I do not know what to suggest since your previous e-mail was unclear
about what you actually did.  I suspect that we have to repair this by
hand.  Perhaps the best thing for you to do is make a list of your files
both with aips and from the command line and send both lists to me.

Inside aips.

CLRMSG
CLRNAME
CATALOG
PRTMSG to a disk file

At job control level

cd <your data area>
ls -l *\; > ll.txt

Then send me ll.txt and the file you did the PRTMSG to.

There is a command level program called RECAT that looks through a data
area for all CB files (image and uv-data header) and builds a new
catalog based on it.  I fear that your data area may be too messed up
for this approach.