[daip] AIPS - Shared memory ID failure: Lion equivalent of sysctl.conf

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu May 24 11:14:00 EDT 2012

Brendan Reardon wrote:
> Eric -
>
> Thank you so much. Since the person using the Mac is in today, I told
> them not to restart it to act as a temporary fix and I will go back to
> add this file when they are not using it. After I add the ~/.Xdefaults
> file, what should I do to proceed in order to get off shared memory?
>
> Brendan Reardon
> Brandeis University '14

Don't add my .Xdefaults but edit one of your own.  Try

1. Put the chosen file in place - a good minimal one would be

AIPStv*graphics1R:     255
AIPStv*graphics1G:       0
AIPStv*graphics1B:     255
AIPStv*useSharedMemory:        0

This turns off shared memory and changes the graphics plane 1 color to
purple.  Then do

xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults

Then start aips, load an image to the TV and type
grchan=1; tvlab
The labels should be purple.

Now try TVFID - hit button A and move the cursor around - do the
grey-scales change smoothly or is it jumpy and slow?  If the latter then
we really want to shared memory - otherwise not so much.

2. Now reboot the computer and start aips as usual.  It should still
work with purple graphics channel 1.  Then choose a better /Xdefaults file.

Why the boot process does not pick up your file is a great mystery - it
does it for everyone else (all Macs have this issue).