[daip] data area management question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon May 7 10:31:24 EDT 2012

Kelley M. Hess wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I was trying to be clever about managing my data areas and royally screwed something up.
>
> I successfully created new data areas by editing DADEV.LIST and NETSP and I can read/write to them.  I wanted to test if I could simply move aips files from one data area to another without having to write out the fits files, and write them back in, etc.  I read up on the naming convention, and tried to copy all the proper tables for a single uv file from one data area (disk 1) to another (disk 2), but found that the uv file didn't show up when I typed "pcat" in aips.  In fact, now none of the files which were in "disk 1"--some 100 files--show up when I type "pcat".  I mv'ed all files back to the original data area and I reverted everything back to it's original state, as much as possible, but I still can't see the 100+ files that I originally could and which still exist, untouched in disk 1.    I'm afraid I may have accidentally deleted something crucial…  Anyway, is there a way to force aips to read through the disk 1 directory (/opt/aips/DATA/BEAST_1) and properly recogn
ize the catalog?

> Thanks in advance!
> Kelley

The critical file is the CA file.  It lists all data sets and maps in
the data area.  That is why, when you moved the data set to the new
area, it was not recognized.  We have had this problem before of course
and there is a solution.  It is the stand-alone program RECAT (not the
verb inside aips).  At the command prompt in your xterm:

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH     (or . LOGIN.SH for bash shells)
$CDTST
RUN RECAT

and answer the questions.

ERic Greisen