[daip] 31DEC12 Installation on Linux

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 23 15:20:28 EDT 2012

Brendan Reardon wrote:

> My name is Brendan Reardon and am currently working to install AIPS to
> work under Dr. David Roberts at Brandeis University.
>
> While installing, it is clear that my PP.exe file is not installing,
> which prevents AIPSUBS.LIS from compiling.
>
>     Compiling REVENV...
>     AipsWiz:         - Compiling ZTRLOP.c...
>     AipsWiz:         - done.  Now try building the PP preprocessor...
>     AipsWiz: /usr/bin/g77 -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o
>     AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build PP.EXE in
>     /soft/aips/31DEC12/LINUX/SYSTEM/BRANDEIS
>     AipsWiz: Error: This will prevent INSTEP2 from starting!!!!
>     AipsWiz: Error: You need to find out why it failed, but for now
>     AipsWiz: Error: you can proceed with the rest of the install..

Let-s start with a more basic question - why are you compiling AIPS?  Do
you have a need to develop AIPS programs yourself?  Do you have some
strange new computer?  If the anser to those questions is no, then you
want to use the binary versions provided by NRAO.  They use the Intel
compilers which are not free (but we get them as a service to the
community) but which allow us to give away the load modules and
necessary libraries.  These load modules run quite a bit faster than
would those from g77 or gfortran.  The binary installation is much
simpler than compiling (hence your other questions).

To do the binary install -

cd to your $AIPS_ROOT and enter

perl install.pl -n

and answer the questions.