[daip] Problem in installing AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 28 15:20:39 EDT 2012

Samir Choudhuri wrote:
> Sir,
> I tried to install AIPS with binary version. But after screen 11 I face
> a problem.I here attach my sceen.Sir, please help me in detail how I
> proceed.
>

> AipsWiz: /home/aips/AIPS/31DEC11 does not exist, will be created.
> rsync: failed to connect to ftp.aoc.nrao.edu <http://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu>
> (*inet_ntop failed*): Connection refused (111)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
> [Receiver=3.0.8]
> AipsWiz:  =====> Configuring your AIPS_ROOT area...
> AipsWiz: Error: Cannot find 31DEC11/SYSTEM/UNIX/AIPSASSN.SH
> AipsWiz: Error: AIPS SYSUNIX area is incomplete
> AipsWiz: Error: (You may want to unpack the tarball again)
> AipsWiz: Error: Cannot proceed further!
>
> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.

This sounds as if your system may be erecting a firewall against rsync.
Check with your system managers about that.  Sometimes things just fail
for no good reason, so it is good to try again an hour later - but
firewall issues are likely.  Managers often think of rsync as more
dangerous than it really is.