[daip] Problem in installing AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 28 11:05:00 EDT 2012

Samir Choudhuri wrote:
> Sir,
> I am using gfortran-4.6.1 as fortran compiler.I am failed to install
> AIPS and g77 in not working in my ubuntu 11.10.
> Please help me to install AIPS.

The first question is - why are you compiling AIPS yourself?
The binary version runs faster than even the latest gfortran and we have
not properly tested that compiler.  You will need to compile yourself if
you plan to write AIPS tasks yourself.  Otherwise may I recommend

perl install.pl -n

where the -n is for the binary (network) install process.

If you want to compile aips yourself, please send me the error messages
from the compiler and I might be able to help.