[daip] AIPS error messeges

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 13 13:37:38 EDT 2012

Sayali Avachat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to plot my radio data in the TASK UVPLT. I am getting
> following error when type GO after checking all the inputs.
>
> windu.> UVPLT1: Task UVPLT  (release of 31DEC11) begins
> windu.> UVPLT1: UVGET: Using flag table version   1 to edit data
> windu.> UVPLT1: ZSSSL2 connect (UNIX) No such file or directory
> windu.> UVPLT1: ZSSSLK: ERROR   1 ON LOCK
> windu.> UVPLT1: ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
> windu.> UVPLT1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6
> windu.> UVPLT1: TV OPEN ERROR      6
> windu.> UVPLT1: GINIT: ERROR    6 OPENING THE TV
> windu.> UVPLT1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> windu.> UVPLT1: windu 31DEC11 TST: Cpu=      0.2  Real=      0  IO=
>    14
>
> Also when I am trying to run TVFLG, I am getting following error.
>
> windu.> TVFLG1: Task TVFLG  (release of 31DEC11) begins
> windu.> TVFLG1: Begin finding a list of times to enter the grid
> windu.> TVFLG1: UVGET: Using flag table version   1 to edit data
> windu.> TVFLG1: Found   537 time intervals to grid, so
> windu.> TVFLG1: begin gridding the data to a temporary TVFLGR file
> windu.> TVFLG1: ZCREAT ERROR     1 FOR M87_07_AK1  .TVFLGR.   2
> windu.> TVFLG1: GRIDTB: UNABLE TO CREATE OUTPUT IMAGE FILE - ERROR    5
> windu.> TVFLG1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> windu.> TVFLG1: windu 31DEC11 TST: Cpu=      0.2  Real=      0  IO=
>    17
>
> I am getting something or the other error when I am trying to use TV
> related tasks specially.
>
> Why am I getting these errors? Is there anything wrong with my AIPS
> version/installation? Also since these error does not say anything
> clearly, I am not sure what's wrong.

The two errors are not connected.

1. This error usually arises when TVSERV is no longer running (if it
ever did).  It means that there is not the socket needed to connect with
the daemon that monitors what process gets to talk to the TV.  Check for
TVSERV and XAS processes running.  Do a KLEENEX from AIPS and start it
again.

2. This one is likely to be a bigger nuisance.  The error means that
file already exists of the name that TVFLG tried to assign to the grid
file.  This means that in some way your CA (catalog) file is missing an
entry it should have - presumably because of some process dying badly or
some such.  The above messages do not identify the disk and catalog
number where the failure occurred so you will need to do detective work.
   If there is only 1 aips disk it gets easier or if IN2DISK was
specified, then you know which disk.  do a CLRNAM; INDI=n; CATA where n
= the disk number.  Look for the first catalog number not having an entry.

Outside AIPS, cd to the relevant data area.

ls -lt ??Dnnn*.uuu\;

where nnn is the catalog number in 3-digit extended HEX (base 36) and
uuu is your user number in the same form.  There is a proc in the AIPS
path called EHEX which converts decimal into extended hex.

These files are not known in the catalog - if you do not know what they
are, deleting them is an easy response.  There is also a stand-alone
program (outside aips) which you can run if there is a CBDnnn*.uuu\; file.
     cd $AIPS_ROOT
     source LOGIN.CSH     (or . LOGIN.SH for bash)
     $CDTST
     RUN RECAT
and answer the questions.