[daip] Added new AIPS disks, error message from ZDCHIN about NETSP entry

Susan Neff Susan.G.Neff at nasa.gov
Tue Jan 31 13:34:34 EST 2012

Hi Eric,

I hope things are going well for you, in between the
changes in management out there.

[Do I need (would it be of any help to you) to submit
this to the NRAO helpdesk?]

We (David Friedlander, system administrator here, and
I) added two new big disks to my Mac Pro desktop
machine.  I run AIPS standalone on it, as I do for my
laptop.  We modified the DADEVS file and the NETSP
file in the aips root area to add the new disks.  AIPS
sees the disks and (as far as I can tell so far),
works fine with them.

However, when we start AIPS, we] get error messages
saying:
    ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA01  (DA02, DA03...)

I don't remember getting these error messages before,
but when I try starting AIPS on my laptop (for
comparison), I get the same error messages on that
system.  I'm thinking that I may have just "forgotten
to see" the messages before (but I notice them now,
when checking out the new disks).

I see that the AIPS Manager FAQs say that the disks
need to have the identical name in NETSP as they have
in DADEVS.LIST.  They do not have (and have not had
for quite a while) the same names on either of my
machine, although they do (and have for quite a while)
point to the same data areas, even though the names
(in NETSP and in DADEVS.LIST) of the files are
different.  [I believe the different names have to do
with historic, no longer applicable, systems for
naming disks here.]

Example:
     In DADEVS.LIST, AIPS disk 1: is
/Volumes/Apps_and_Docs/sgneff/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
     In NETSP, AIPS disk 1 is:
/Users/neff/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
     In both cases,  LOCALHOST_1 is a link to the
(same) real data area.

So, a few questions:

1) Is the mismatch between the names likely to be
causing the error message, or is it likely to be
somewhere else?

2) Do I need to worry about these error messages?   If
I'm using the desktop machine stand-alone, as I use my
laptop, does this matter?  Are there tasks or verbs
that will not work if I'm getting those error messages?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide,
-s-