[daip] [Fwd: Re: VLA-AB465-data]

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 26 17:19:20 EST 2012

Data Analysts wrote:

> Re: VLA-AB465-data
> From:
> trevino <trevino at iram.es>
> Date:
> Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:55:32 +0100
> To:
> Data Analysts <analysts at aoc.nrao.edu>
>
> To:
> Data Analysts <analysts at aoc.nrao.edu>
>

> Thanks for your rapid answer!
>
> Is there any way to calculate this dates?
>
> REgarding the strange velocity (340 km/s) in the LISTR, I would like to
> know if there is a way to confirm if this was the velocity really used?
> I mean, the line appears well detected, and it should be around 10 km/s.
> I would like to know if there is a way to check the real observed
> frequency, and confirm which is the correct velocity scale.
>
> Furthermore, in the header of the image, the channel of reference for
> frequency is number 1 (out of 31). Typically the reference channel
> should be number 16, isn't it? For the velocity axis, the 340km/s is
> located in the reference channel 128! All this make me think that there
> could be a problem with the labelling of the hird axis.

I have talked to some old hands in VLA line work and they say that in
the old days it was possible to observe with e.g. 255 channels but to
select only some smaller number to be written out.  This is probably
what has happened with this data beginning with 1988 jan 23.

There seems to be no information in the data format to tell FILLM about
this selection!  I suspect that the reference channel should be 16 and
have no idea what the source velocities should be.  I notice that the
velocities in the earlier, wider-band data vary between 0 for
calibrators and some chosen (near 0) values for sources.  You can fix
the reference pixel with PUTHEAD KEYWORD = 'CRPIX3' but what the source
velocities were I don't know.

PRTAB will show you in the CL table a column called DOPOFF which will
tell you the Doppler offset in Hz for the various sources.  It shows
some as tracked and others as not tracked.