[daip] [Fwd: Re: VLA-AB465-data]

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 26 15:45:47 EST 2012

Data Analysts wrote:

> Re: VLA-AB465-data
> From:
> trevino <trevino at iram.es>
> Date:
> Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:55:32 +0100
> To:
> Data Analysts <analysts at aoc.nrao.edu>
>
> To:
> Data Analysts <analysts at aoc.nrao.edu>
>

> Thanks for your rapid answer!
>
> Is there any way to calculate this dates?
>
> REgarding the strange velocity (340 km/s) in the LISTR, I would like to
> know if there is a way to confirm if this was the velocity really used?
> I mean, the line appears well detected, and it should be around 10 km/s.
> I would like to know if there is a way to check the real observed
> frequency, and confirm which is the correct velocity scale.
>
> Furthermore, in the header of the image, the channel of reference for
> frequency is number 1 (out of 31). Typically the reference channel
> should be number 16, isn't it? For the velocity axis, the 340km/s is
> located in the reference channel 128! All this make me think that there
> could be a problem with the labelling of the hird axis.
>
> Thanks in advance, and best regards.

The velocities indicated are just plain wrong and I am uncertain about
the reference pixels as well.  I loaded each segment separately and the
ones with narrow channels seemed to be quite strange.  I suspect that
they are modes 8 or 9 and there seems to be significant discussion in
the comments inside FILLM for how to determine correct values.  In one
data set there are 31 channels it says but reference pixel 128!  That
cannot be.

The frequencies are presumably correct although for what channel I
cannot say.  A velocity of 350 km/s is a 1750 kHz shift +- 30 km/s max
for the Earth's motion so 1420.405752 - 1.75 = 1418.65 Mhz and it says
things like 1420.4 for the frequency.  So the velocities lie.

One of the segments has a reference day of 19871205 but all the data
contained therein is at day 49 wrt to that date or after the next
segment on 1988 1/25.  All this makes me wonder what is going on.

The reference channel for a 31 channel data set is normally channel 16.
  After processing say with DBCON it may become 1 (not 128).  I do note
that the offset of pixel 128 from say 16 is the equivalent of 273 km/s
more or less.  But the 340 is supposed to apply to the reference pixel
so this data set does not make sense.

I guess I can take a little more time to try to look at it but I am due
to go on vacation Monday.

Eric Greisen