[daip] Problem in TV

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 9 13:53:16 EST 2012

Sabyasachi Pal wrote:
> HI,
>
> I am a veteran user of aips and I found a new problem with it - the TVSRV is simply not opening after some system upgrade (MSGSRV and TEKSRV is working). I have tried in different recent versions of Ubuntu, Fedora and Mandriva but the result is same.
>
> I have attached the initial error message.
>
> I tried/checked following things, without any positive result.
>
> 1. Checked X-window, it is set at 24 - NOT 16 (output of xdpyinfo attached)
> 2. Increased shmmax by "set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=16777216"
> 3. /etc/service is OK
> 4. Checked that LOOPBACK is RUNNING (attached output of /sbin/ifconfig -a)
>
> It will be a great help if you can give me some hint to solve the problem. My research deeply depend on aips, so any help will be highly appreciated.
>
> With regards
> Sabyasachi

> Dr. Sabyasachi Pal
> International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research
> M468
> The University of Western Australia
> 35 Stirling Highway
> Crawley WA 6009
> AUSTRALIA
> Phone: +61 (08)  6488 5564

MakeLink: bind error (INET): Invalid argument

This error has me baffled.  I suspect that we are encountering an issue
in which either your operating system or ours is too old and the type of
internet socket does not match what is expected.  Are you running $ARCH
LINUX or LNX64.  If the former, is your machine actually a 64-bit
machine?  If so, you could consider switching and that might solve the
problem.

A work-around is to use tv=local on the comman line.  So long as you are
not using TVs between computers, this works well and does not use the
same sort of sockets.