[daip] more on multiple TV's

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 27 17:46:33 EST 2012

Susan Neff wrote:
> I have a new wrinkle.
>
> I go to a second desktop, and start another (third)
> aips session.
>

> However,
>
> when I start another (fourth) aips session in the
> second window, I want it to share the (second) TV, so
> I say  "aips tv=local:2"
>
> Instead, it starts a third TV (AIPSTV - UNIX-1) ,
> third TEK window, third MSGSRV
>
> It says:
> START_AIPS: Will use Unix Socket based TV number 2
> and later
> TVDEVS.SH: Sorry, UNIX TV2 in use on display x
> TVDEVS.SH: Will assume you want first available slot

TVDEVS looks at the name attached to the socket and the name attached to
your computer (in principle).  You can see the name of the socket by
doing an ls -l /tmp.  I get for example  XAS.1.gala= for tv=local:1 on
gala.  But doing the same command you have done, TVDEVS does not insist
on a 2n local TV but will use the pre-existing one.

I doubt that outside influences can you use local TV, message and TEK so
you should use tv=local for everything but we need to find out why
TVDEVS.SH is balking.

If you copy TVDEVS.SH to some work area.  Then
cd $AIPS_ROOT
rm TVDEVS.SH     (a link file)
ln -s <path to your copy of TVDEVS.SH>

cd <your work area>

edit TVDEVS.SH or take the attached copy

we might learn something....

Eric