[daip] AIPS error

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Dec 7 10:45:10 EST 2012

Sayali Avachat wrote:
> Hello Dr. Greisen,
>
> While running procedure DOFARS, after eveything goes well, at the last
> step I am getting following error
>
> solo.a> FARS 1: INSUFFICIENT SPACE ON DISK  5 FOR FILE DA05:MAD0VH001.10A;
> solo.a> FARS 1: REQUESTED SIZE     16384 AVAILABLE     13034 MBYTES
> solo.a> FARS 1: MCREAT: NO ROOM FOR M87_04_AXUK2.FARSam.   1
> solo.a> FARS 1: FARSIN: COULD NOT CREATE OUTPUT MAP.  IER=      1
> solo.a> FARS 1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
>
> I checked, if I have enough space and I think I do have enough space on
> my disk. Then why is this happening?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> --
> Sayali S Avachat
> PhD Candidate
> Department of Physics and Space Sciences
> Florida Institute of Technology
> savachat2008 at my.fit.edu <mailto:savachat2008 at my.fit.edu>

I have thought a bit more about this.   FARS is asking for 16 Gbytes or
disk.  This means 4 billion pixels in the image or for example 4096
pixels on the RM axis and 1024 each on RA and Dec.  Your data are all at
high frequencies so your resolution in rm is likely to be 100 or even
200 radians / meter squared.   Unless your images are 4096x4096 in RA
and dec you are asking for way too many pixels on the rm axis.