[daip] Installing AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 23 13:34:31 EDT 2012

Jennifer Weston wrote:
> Thanks much, everything downloaded fine, but I'm having trouble
> installing: I hit an error saying that I haven't defined data areas
> (even though I set one up). I've included at the bottom the errors I'm
> getting (and at the end, I included my final review before installing,
> as well).

> AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
> AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
> AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
> AipsWiz: Error: two parameters.  Use
> 8 2
>
> AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
> AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;
>
> AipsWiz: Error: Feed it
>
> 0 POPSDAT TST
>
> AipsWiz: Error: when it asks for Idebug, etc. and press RETURN when
> AipsWiz: Error: you see the '>' prompt.
> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC

Great!  I was afraid there were nasty firewall issues or something.

The definition of data areas is confusing to beginners.  The issue
we have here is that there > 100 computers that run aips and we want one
data area definition file.  Thus the routine that looks for the data
areas you want on your machine has to find either a data area with a +
in column 1 or a data area with the name of your host - in this case
LOCALHOST.  Here we have some global (root maintained) list of links
with names such as
/DATA/PRIMATE_1
/DATA/PRIMATE_2
etc which would be found for my computer (named PRIMATE).  I suggest
that you set up link files in the $AIPS_ROOT/DATA area to point at the
data areas you want - e.g.

ln -s /home/primate1/AIPS/data1  /home/aips/DATA/PRIMATE_1
ln -s /home/primate3/AIPS/data1  /home/aips/DATA/PRIMATE_2

where I have 2 local disks /home/primate1 and /home/primate3 and a
$AIPS_ROOT named /home/aips.  Then in the $NET0/DADEVS.LIST file I put
the data areas as
/home/aips/DATA/PRIMATE_1
/home/aips/DATA/PRIMATE_2
and the start up will find them.  In your case substitute LOCALHOST for
PRIMATE and whatever is appropriate for the directory names that follow
the -s.

You will not need to repeat the installation - just follow the
instructions above.