[daip] Problem in FRING

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:58:20 EDT 2012

Walter Alef wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> I encountered a problem when I tried to fringe fit a data set with 2 subarrays
> in AIPS using FRING to determine IF phase differences (manual pcal).
>
> The help files suggests you can run FRING with the adverb SUBARRAY  0=>all.
> When determining solutions for a restricted timerange AND data is only in one
> subarray the program seems to crash (see below) with a not very meaningful
> error message.
>
> Setting SUBARRAY  to the subarray with data works.
>
> If the wrong subarray with no data is specified the program aborts with no
> data selected.
>

> localh> FRING1: Task FRING  (release of 31DEC12) begins
> localh> FRING1: UVGET: Using flag table version   1 to edit data
> localh> FRING1: AVERT: ERROR  -1 ON INIT DATA FOR READ
> localh> FRING1:  START SUBARRAY    1 OF    2
> localh> FRING1:  START SUBARRAY    2 OF    2
> localh> FRING1: Selecting the data
> localh> FRING1: Dividing data by source flux densities
> localh> FRING1: Determining solutions
> localh> FRING1: CATIO: CATBLK   2 IN USE, CAN'T WRITE
> localh> FRING1: TABINI: ERROR  4 CATALOGING FILE SN NO   1
> localh> FRING1: SNINI: ERROR   4 FROM TABINI OPCODE = WRIT
> localh> FRING1: SNINI: ERROR INITIALIZING SOLUTION TABLE FOR WRIT
> localh> FRING1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
> localh> FRING1: vlb067 31DEC12 TST: Cpu=      0.2  Real=      1  IO=        64

I have putbck a corrected FRING - you will get it tomorrow.  It avoids
the status problem in 2 ways (the second defends against a status from
some non-FRING source).  The output file writing is now also controlled
with an adverb and has been cleaned up a little.  Walter Brisken says he
will see you tomorrow to discuss the new issues you have raised.  Note
that there is a DPARM(9) option to avoid fitting a rate at all.