[daip] Installing aips on a mac

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 19 13:16:01 EDT 2011

Victor Migenes wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> We are getting this error message and the TV screed does not open yet ...
>
> XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user andreamunyan
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-jRK9b5/:0
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY
> /tmp/launch-jRK9b5/:0
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY
> /tmp/launch-jRK9b5/:0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1430 height 778,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

 From the AIPS Manager FAQ page:

  On the latest "leopard" systems, /etc/rc is gone and creating it will
have no effect. You need to create an /etc/sysctl.conf file and put the
values in it,

             kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
             kern.sysv.shmmin=1
             kern.sysv.shmmni=32
             kern.sysv.shmseg=8
             kern.sysv.shmall=4096

You should use the values you had when you were running tiger. Those
could be in /Previous\ System/etc/rc, assuming you have "Previous
System". So three different OS upgrades and three different ways to
adjust the default shared memory. Note: You will need to reboot the
system for the change in shared memory to take place. You can check if
the shared memory changes happened by typing "sysctl kern.sysv" in a
terminal or xterm window. Look for the kern.sysv.shm* values. If the
values have not changed, make sure you haven't inadvertently left in
"sysctl -w" in the /etc/sysctl.conf file or mis-typed one of the values.
If the /etc/sysctl.conf file is not properly formatted, or shmmax is not
an integer multiple of shmall, the shared memory will not be adjusted
after the reboot.