[daip] AIPS UVFIT fails to iterate

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 8 16:58:07 EDT 2011

Ashley Zauderer wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> Was their a code errror/change in uvfit between the 31DEC10 release and
> the 31DEC11 release?
>
> I get UVFIT to work using the AIPS in Socorro, but Tanmoy is getting a
> failure using the 31DEC10 version.
>
> I wanted to determine if he needed to update his AIPS before digging
> into other possibilities.
> (The gradient it is returning is zero - so it does not make any progress
> with iterating and returns the initial guess that he gives
> the program)
>
> Thanks!
> ashley

There seems to be no difference between UVFIT and s.r. DVDMIN in the two
releases.  I get almost no queries about UVFIT so I suspect it is not
used much.  I would suggest even debugging inside UVMOD but that
requires a text installation rather than a binary one and is often
problematical.  Learning one's way about the code is not easy either but
might be good for a student...

Eric