[daip] AIPS NOT RUNNING TEKSERVER MESSAGESERVER AND TV

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 8 10:45:12 EDT 2011

naveen yadav wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have made an install on a system with following specs:
> Fedora 15
> Linux  2.6.40.3-0.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 16 04:10:59 UTC 2011
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> The installation went without errors but when i run aips i dont get
> servers(TV,TEK,etc..)
> The output when ./START_AIPS is

> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called astrovaio
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on astrovaio asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on ASTROVAIO asynchronously...

> XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host astrovaio, user naveen
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on astrovaio, DISPLAY :0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1356 height 668,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on astrovaio, DISPLAY :0
> /home/naveen/Aips/31DEC11/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS: line 252: xterm:
> command not found
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on astrovaio, DISPLAY :0
> /home/naveen/Aips/31DEC11/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS: line 316: xterm:
> command not found
> MakeLink: bind error (INET): Address family not supported by protocol
> zssslk: astrovaio: UNKNOWN HOST
> XAS: Quitting NOW.
> STARTPMON: [ASTROVAIO] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
> ZVTPO3 bind (INET): Address family not supported by protocol

I see two kinds of error messages here:

1. The message and TEK servers run as programs running in xterm terminal
servers.  This program "xterm" does not seem to be available on your
system.  If you set the  AIPS_MSG_EMULATOR  environment variable to some
other type of server that is available on your system, the message
server should work.  The TEK server uses the AIPS_TEK_EMULATOR
environment variable but only terminal drivers that support tektronix
emulation will do.  I am told that there is a replacement for xterm
called nxterm - perhaps that is available on your system and can be used
by setting these environment variables in your login or aips startup
procs.  If not you will need to install xterm from somewhere - it is
probably an optional function from your install disk.

2. The "Address family not supported by protocol" is a new error message
for me.  Very strange.  Try using UNIX sockets rather than Inet ones:
say   AIPS TV=local on your aips command line.

More info on these are in help files on AIPS, MSGSRV, and TEKSRV.