[daip] tv server problems on ubuntu 11.04

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 6 12:08:30 EDT 2011

Sharmila Goedhart wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got an odd problem that isn't covered in your FAQ. I've just gotten
> a new computer and been installing software on it.  The aips tv server
> did appear to be working when I first installed aips, but after that I
> did a system update and installed other software and now the aips tv and
> tekserv does not appear at all even though the startup messages all look
> normal. I even reinstalled aips and still no luck. I have verified that
> the colour depth is 24 bit.
>
> I had a suspicion that this might be a problem with the nvidia driver
> (560 Ti  graphics card) so I disabled it. The screen then went into some
> really horrible low resolution on gdm restart, but the tvwindow does
> indeed appear.  Then I tried using the nvidia driver with the same low
> resolution and the tvserver worked.  So I thought I had a workaround.
> Not ideal but ok. Unfortunately it turns out that there is a problem
> with the nvidia driver that is bundled with Ubuntu and my graphics card
> overheated, causing my computer to shutdown. So I had to install the
> binary driver from nvidia.  Now I can't get the tvserver to appear at
> any resolution, and since I had to disable the nouveau driver in order
> to install the nvidia driver I can't go back. I also think that I really
> need to make sure I am using the correct nvidia driver so my graphics
> card does not burn itself out.
>
> Any guidance on where to look for the solution would be appreciated.

One user writes and at least one other says:

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 and my AIPS XAS seems to work okay. I
installed AIPS under an earlier version of Ubuntu, and recently
upgraded to 11.04. I just checked quickly with VPLOT and IBLED and
both seem to be working fine for me on this distribution.

A system manager points out:

In 11.04 they've switched the default desktop to Unity and Wayland; no
more X windows.  I'm told you can revert these and that X11 (with Gnome
or KDE as usual) is still there but it's just not the default anymore.
Maybe that's what's hitting some people.

And this may be the solution:

With test on Ubuntu 11.04 the problem appears to be generated by the
new gnome desktop manager, when XAS starts the icon to bring up the
windows does not appears (ALT-TAB shows the icons) . Using xfce4 this
problem disappears.

This might help.