[daip] tv server problems on ubuntu 11.04

Sharmila Goedhart sharmila at ska.ac.za
Tue Oct 4 12:22:51 EDT 2011

Hi

I've got an odd problem that isn't covered in your FAQ. I've just gotten a
new computer and been installing software on it.  The aips tv server did
appear to be working when I first installed aips, but after that I did a
system update and installed other software and now the aips tv and tekserv
does not appear at all even though the startup messages all look normal. I
even reinstalled aips and still no luck. I have verified that the colour
depth is 24 bit.

I had a suspicion that this might be a problem with the nvidia driver (560
Ti  graphics card) so I disabled it. The screen then went into some really
horrible low resolution on gdm restart, but the tvwindow does indeed appear.
 Then I tried using the nvidia driver with the same low resolution and the
tvserver worked.  So I thought I had a workaround. Not ideal but ok.
Unfortunately it turns out that there is a problem with the nvidia driver
that is bundled with Ubuntu and my graphics card overheated, causing my
computer to shutdown. So I had to install the binary driver from nvidia.
 Now I can't get the tvserver to appear at any resolution, and since I had
to disable the nouveau driver in order to install the nvidia driver I can't
go back. I also think that I really need to make sure I am using the correct
nvidia driver so my graphics card does not burn itself out.

Any guidance on where to look for the solution would be appreciated.

Regards

Sharmila

Screen dump below:

START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the Series PS NONE (no description
supplied by installer)
START_AIPS:  - system name laserjet|HP, AIPS type LaserJet

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file /home/sharmila/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /data1/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 980,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0

--
Dr Sharmila Goedhart
Operations and Support Scientist