[daip] problems with AIPSTV_INET and TEKSRV windows

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 22 16:36:45 EST 2011

Carlos Sotomayor wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I have just installed aips in my Ubuntu 11.04 64 bits and it works;
> however the TEKSRV and AIPSTV-INET windows do not open. I have a 24 bit
> display.
>
> Here is the message I get after calling aips:
>
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>   (Using global default file
> /home/carlos/Documents/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /home/carlos/Documents/AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
> XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 980,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
>
> How could I do to solve this problem?

This all looks good - I guess I have to ask what windowing system you
are using.  It appears that in Ubuntu 11.04 X-Windows is no longer the
default.  It can be selected from some pull-down menus or other set-up
commands.  XAS works only in a X-Windows environment.  I recently
changed XAS to start open rather than in icon form, but the TEK server
always starts in icon form and has no need to leave that form.  Run a
TKPL and see if a 2nd TekServer window appears with the plot.

Another thing to check is a ps -elf in a separate window to see if XAS
and TEKSRV are running.

What happens when you give the command TVINIT?