[daip] ZVTPO3 bind (INET): Address family not supported by protocol

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 16 12:27:28 EST 2011

Cao Hongmin wrote:
> hi,
>
> when i start the aips,
> i see the message:* ZVTPO3 bind (INET): Address family not supported by protocol*
>
> in the initial prompt messages as follows:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.012
>   (Using global default file /home/novae/aips31DEC11/DA00/DADEVS.LIST f!
> or DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /home/novae/aips31DEC11/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
> START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on LOCALHOST
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC11 AIPS with normal priority
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.012
> UNIXSE! RVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on&nb sp;localhost
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY :0.0
> UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC11) at priority =   0
> UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
> STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1356 height 668,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale&! nbsp;memories
> *ZVTPO3 bind (INET): Address family not supported by protocol*
> AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?
> is there something wrong ? could you help me?

Apparently your computer does not support the (old) standard
internet addresses/protocols.  The particular message is from the
"tape" server TPMON1 which is almost never used.  As a result you
may ignore the message.  I suspect that you will have to start
aips with the command tv=local since the Inet TV (and TEK and
message servers) use the same methods as TPMON.