[daip] aips polarization cal

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 7 18:11:49 EST 2011

bob at physics.ucdavis.edu wrote:

>>> i am still not happy with my polarization calibration based on
>>> using j0318+1628, 0521+166 and 0137+331 as inputs to pcal. my original
>>> plan was to use 3c84 to get the D terms. If you recall, i was not
>>> able to get pcal to work using just 3c84 but i would like to try
>>> again. do remember that discussion and do you have any new suggestions
>>> to make pcal work with just 3c84 as an input?
>>>
>>> thanks as always
>>>
>>> bob becker
>> I made a change to PCAL that worked well with 3C84 as a single several
>> minute scan.  I broke up the scan with SOLINT and got excellent
>> solutions.  The task (if you run MNJ on 31DEC11) will now automatically
>> break up a single scan into 3 parts.
>>
>> It should be better now...
>>
>> Eric
>>
> that is encouraging. can you give me all the inputs you used for pcal
> that resulted in a successful run?
>
> bob

AIPS 1: INNAME     'PCAL 1 scan'           Input UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'UVCOP'                 Input UV file name (class)
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: INDISK        6                    Input UV file disk unit #
AIPS 1:                                    Data selection (multisource):
AIPS 1: CALSOUR    'J0319+4130'            Sources to calibrate with
AIPS 1:            *rest ' '
AIPS 1: QUAL         -1                    Calibrator qualifier -1=>all
AIPS 1: CALCODE    ' '                     Calibrator code '    '=>all
AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to use.
AIPS 1: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
AIPS 1: SELFREQ      -1                    Frequency to select (MHz)
AIPS 1: FREQID        0                    Freq. ID to select.
AIPS 1: BIF           0                    Lowest IF number 0=>all
AIPS 1: EIF           0                    Highest IF number 0=>all
AIPS 1: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antennas to solve for.
AIPS 1: UVRANGE       0           0        UV range in kilolamdba
AIPS 1: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray, 0=>all
AIPS 1:                                    Cal. info for input:
AIPS 1: DOCALIB       1                    > 0 calibrate data & weights
AIPS 1:                                    > 99 do NOT calibrate weights
AIPS 1: GAINUSE       0                    CAL table to apply.
AIPS 1:                                    CLEAN map (optional)
AIPS 1: BLVER        -1                    BL table to apply.
AIPS 1: FLAGVER       0                    Flag table version
AIPS 1: DOBAND        1                    If >0 apply bandpass cal.
AIPS 1:                                    Method used depends on value
AIPS 1:                                    of DOBAND (see HELP file).
AIPS 1: BPVER         1                    Bandpass table version
AIPS 1: SMOOTH     *all 0                  Smoothing function. See
AIPS 1:                                    HELP SMOOTH for details.
AIPS 1: ICHANSEL      5          60        Array of start and stop chan
AIPS 1:               1        *rest 0     numbers, plus a channel
AIPS 1:                                    increment and IF to be used
AIPS 1:                                    to select channels to sum to
AIPS 1:                                    find the polarization.
AIPS 1:                                    0 => all channels
AIPS 1: IN2NAME    ' '                        Cleaned map name (name)
AIPS 1: IN2CLASS   ' '                        Cleaned map name (class)
AIPS 1: IN2SEQ        0                       Cleaned map name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: IN2DISK       0                       Cleaned map disk unit #
AIPS 1: INVERS        0                    CC file version #.
AIPS 1: NCOMP      *all 0                  # comps to use for model.
AIPS 1:                                    1 value per field
AIPS 1: FLUX          0                    Lowest CC component used.
AIPS 1: NMAPS         0                    No. Clean map files
AIPS 1: CMETHOD    ' '                     Modeling method:
AIPS 1:                                    'DFT','GRID','    '
AIPS 1: CMODEL     ' '                     Model type: 'COMP','IMAG'
AIPS 1:                                    'SUBI' (see HELP re images)
AIPS 1: DOMODEL       1                    > 0 => use model, do not
AIPS 1:                                    fit source Q and U
AIPS 1:                                    = 2 use CP table model
AIPS 1: PMODEL     *all 0                  Source poln. model
AIPS 1: SPECPARM   *all 0                  Spectral index: I Q U V for
AIPS 1:                                    each CALSOUR
AIPS 1: SOLINT        0.4                  Soln. interval (min) 0=>5.
AIPS 1: SOLTYPE    ' '                     Solution type:
AIPS 1:                                    'ORI-', 'APPR', 'RAPR'
AIPS 1: SPECTRAL      1                    > 0 do spectral PCAL
AIPS 1:                                    <= 0 do continuum PCAL
AIPS 1: INTPARM    *all 0                  Smoothing parameters for
AIPS 1:                                    spectral mode
AIPS 1: PRTLEV        1                    Print statistics 0=>none
AIPS 1:                                    1 = some, 2 = lots. Use 1.
AIPS 1: REFANT       24                    Reference antenna, 0->pick
AIPS 1: BPARM      *all 0                  Task enrichment parameters
AIPS 1:                                    for SOLTYPE 'ORI-' only:
AIPS 1:                                    (1) if > 0 use default
AIPS 1:                                        initial feed parameters.
AIPS 1:                                    (2) > 0 -> no error calc.
AIPS 1:                                    (3) if > 0 then fit for R-L
AIPS 1:                                        phase difference
AIPS 1:                                    (4) initial R-L phase
AIPS 1:                                    (5) >0 solve for Vpol.
AIPS 1:                                    (6) >0 fix ref. ori. 1
AIPS 1:                                    (7) >0 fix ref. ori. 2
AIPS 1:                                    (8) >0 fix all orientations
AIPS 1:                                    (9) >0 fix all ellipticities
AIPS 1:                                    (10) >0 fix source poln.
AIPS 1: CPARM      *all 0                  Task enrichment parameters
AIPS 1:                                    (1) >0 => average in IF
AIPS 1:                                       and find common solution.
AIPS 1:                                    (2) >0 => update source
AIPS 1:                                       table with pol. solution
AIPS 1:                                    (3) >0 => do NOT interpolate
AIPS 1:                                       over flagged channels
AIPS 1:                                    (4) CP table version if
AIPS 1:                                       DOMODEL = 2
AIPS 1:                                    (8) >0 => max. no. iter
AIPS 1:                                    (9) >0 => conv. tolerance
AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
#
AIPS 1:                                    (10) >0 => conv. tol.
AIPS 1: BADDISK    *all 0                  Disk no. not to use for
AIPS 1:                                       scratch files.

Nothing hard about it - note that solint can be zero and the task will
set it or one can try break the single scan up in small pieces.