[daip] AIPS 1: TASK ACTIVE problem

Philip Lah plah at mso.anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 1 20:04:07 EDT 2011

Hello Eric,

   unfortunately I do not have much I can add to give a more complete
description of the problem.  I am using perl scripts to interface with
AIPS for my data reduction.  For some reason on the new machine I now
occasionally get the TASK ACTIVE halting my task and stopping my script.
Years ago I did look at using DOWAIT but I discarded it as an option
because it did not give the result I wanted with my scripts.

   From your email I now have a suspiscion about what may be going wrong.
In the perl script that halted prematuraly last night I have multiple
FITTP commands that run one after another outputting the 25 facets of my
continuum image.  I am guessing the for one of the runs the FITTP1.$nnnnn
for the precious run in the /tmp dir had not been removed before the next
FTTP started, so AIPS decided to halt with the TASK ACTIVE error.  This
does not always happen as I ran the same script today with no trouble.  I
suspect that the machine was under higher read/write pressure when the
problem occured hence the delay in removing the old FITTP1.$nnnnn.  I am
not sure how to stop this problem from happening again.  Perhaps I should
have my scripts check for the existance of the FITTP1.$nnnnn before
deciding to continue.

   Bye
          Philip Lah

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011, Eric Greisen wrote:

> Philip Lah wrote:
>> Hello Eric,
>>
>>   I am repeatedly encountering a problem with AIPS not completing a task
>> with the error message
>>
>> AIPS 1: TASK ACTIVE
>>
>>   being given.  This usually happens with FITLD or FITTP but does not occur
>> everytime these tasks are run.  Every so often for reasons unknown to me
>> AIPS just chooses to stop.  Do you have any idea on the possible causes of
>> this problem and how to stop this from happening?
>>

> The message above is given when AIPS attempts to start a task and the
> operating system tells it that a previous task by that name is still running.
> When you get one of these, there are several things to do:
>
> I will use FITTP for the example:
>
> 1. ps -elf | grep FITTP
>
> 2. ls -l /tmp/FITTP*
>
> The /tmp area gets files named e.g. FITTP1.nnnnn where nnnnn is the process
> number.  The are you active routine looks at /tmp and then asks the OS if
> nnnnn is still running.  If /tmp has a FITTP file then do
>    ps -elf | grep nnnnn
>

> I do not know what you mean "AIPS just chooses to stop".  Be aware that GO
> has adverbs - most especially DOWAIT.  If that is TRUE (> 0) then the task
> will not resume AIPS until it finishes more or less normally or disappears
> (AIPS detects that and resumes itself).
>
> I guess I need a more complete description of what is going on in order to
> answer the question properly.
>
> Eric Greisen

     Philip Lah
   Postdoctoral Fellow, joint appointment at
   National Centre for Radio Astrophysics
     and
   Australian National University

   Home Page: http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~plah/