[daip] AIPS 1: TASK ACTIVE problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 1 18:56:57 EDT 2011

Philip Lah wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
>   I am repeatedly encountering a problem with AIPS not completing a task
> with the error message
>
> AIPS 1: TASK ACTIVE
>
>   being given.  This usually happens with FITLD or FITTP but does not
> occur everytime these tasks are run.  Every so often for reasons unknown
> to me AIPS just chooses to stop.  Do you have any idea on the possible
> causes of this problem and how to stop this from happening?

The message above is given when AIPS attempts to start a task and the
operating system tells it that a previous task by that name is still
running.  When you get one of these, there are several things to do:

I will use FITTP for the example:

1. ps -elf | grep FITTP

2. ls -l /tmp/FITTP*

The /tmp area gets files named e.g. FITTP1.nnnnn where nnnnn is the
process number.  The are you active routine looks at /tmp and then asks
the OS if nnnnn is still running.  If /tmp has a FITTP file then do
     ps -elf | grep nnnnn

I do not know what you mean "AIPS just chooses to stop".  Be aware that
GO has adverbs - most especially DOWAIT.  If that is TRUE (> 0) then the
task will not resume AIPS until it finishes more or less normally or
disappears (AIPS detects that and resumes itself).

I guess I need a more complete description of what is going on in order
to answer the question properly.