[daip] quick aips ?

Tanmoy Laskar tlaskar at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 22 10:09:02 EDT 2011

Hi Eric,

The idea is that we want to run JMFIT on a list of point-like sources in an
image cube. We want to generate the list of sources dynamically, and call
JMFIT to fit for the source parameters, writing the output to a text file
for each source, parsing the output file and appending the fitted parameters
to our source listing. Doing this from our own scripts will enable efficient
bookkeeping, where we can keep track of the source and the fit at the same
time.

We have many hundreds of sources, and dealing with hundreds of little JMFIT
ouput files is daunting. It would be easiest if we could, e.g. call JMFIT
from the UNIX command line (or through a spawned AIPS shell), perform the
fit, save the parameters, and absorb the results into our
dynamically-executing code.

We have so far been using MIRIAD, where this functionality is available and
works very well. However, the AIPS routine JMFIT is best suited for our
scientific purpose and we were wondering if dynamic execution in this
fashion is possible in AIPS.
Many thanks,
Tanmoy
2nd Yr Graduate Student in Astronomy
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
A-107, 60 Garden St, Cambridge (617)-495-5989
http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~tlaskar
Mobile: (617)-899-9361