[daip] CL2HF task crashes (abort!)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 14 15:26:24 EDT 2011

Sergio.Jimenez at uv.es wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to use the AIPS task 'cl2hf', but it dies with no reason.
>
> I've been googling around to find a solution, and have found some people
> had the same problem back in 2004 distribution... I'm on 31DEC2011,
> under a Linux System (Ubuntu 10.04), but having a similar problem. Just
> after running CL2HF from AIPS, it crashes with only an 'ABORT!' message.
>
> I have downloaded a new CL2HF.FOR (well, new from several years ago) but
> I cannot compile and link it with "COMLNK CL2HF" because:
>
> FC        :            /usr/local/share/aips/31DEC11/LINUX/PREP/CL2HF.f
> /usr/local/share/aips/31DEC11/SYSTEM/UNIX/FC: 611:
> /opt/intel/fc/9.1.043/bin/ifort: not found
>
> Is there a way to specify a different fortran compiler? Or... where can
> I find a free version of Inter Fortran Compiler?
>

> In a last effort, I tried to perform a Midnight Job update, but, when
> using...
>
> /usr/bin/cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at mnj.aoc.nrao.edu:/home/aipssrc/cvs login
>
> ..because I hadn't cvs installed when I installed AIPS, I'm asked for a
> password, which I don't know.
>
> ---------------------------
>
> I don't know if a MNJ would solve the problem or I need to recompile or
> get a new EXE version of CL2HF, but I'm kind of desperate by now, so any
> help would be highly appreciated :)

It is important to install cvs and run MNJs.  Simply hit Enter when it
asks for a password.  You may need to execute $UPDUNIX/MAKE.BMNJ
but I suspect that the cvs command alone will be enough.

As to CL2HF - that is not a task I have much contact with - it is to
take data out of AIPS to the Haystack astrometry software.  If you were
to write your data set in a FITS file (use FITTP) on a disk area that
can be read by anonymous ftp and then send me info about where it is and
also your inputs to CL2HF, I can try to debug it.

I don't know how that will go since the task is written in a style
consistent with Haystack code but not with Fortran standards.

The binary code shipped with AIPS is compiled with ifort the Intel (not
free) compiler.  It makes good load modules but makes it hard for
non-NRAO sites to compile locally.