[daip] RMS flux density per pixel

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 13 16:42:47 EDT 2011

Modhurita Mitra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to know the RMS flux density per pixel in an off-source region of
> an image. IMSTAT reports the RMS in Jy/beam, and also reports the
> beamsize in pixels. To calculate the RMS flux density per pixel, do I
> divide the RMS reported in Jy/beam by the beamsize in pixels? If not,
> how do I calculate it?

Yes that will do it.  Be sure to be off source.

IMEAN provides another way which fits the peak in the histogram.
What I do is

blc=0; trc=0; imstat
pixstd=pixstd/10
go imean

But that will also be in Jy/beam.  To get Jy/pixel divide by the beam
area in pixels.  Do be aware that the noise in each pixel is not
independent of the noise in adjacent pixels.