[daip] Fittp/Fitld impact on indxr

Arnaud Collioud Arnaud.Collioud at obs.u-bordeaux1.fr
Thu Jul 7 05:24:56 EDT 2011

Hi Eric,

> There are very many things wrong with your AN table.
> Two keywords, NUMORB and NOPCAL, have very wrong values.  When the AN table is copied by AN knowledgeable subroutines, these insanely large values will make columns containing an insanely large number of values.

Should I put zero for these two parameters ?

> Other things are wrong also - many antennas are located at the center of the Earth, you have new names for many antennas so almost none were recognized by a subroutine that knows 58 station identifications,

I did not notice this. It concerns AIRA, BADARY, HN-VLBA, HOBART26, KASHIM34, PIETOWN, SC-VLBA, WESTFORD, WETTZELL, YEBES40M.

It is strange that extensively used stations like SC-VLBA, HN-VLBA or PIETOWN were not recognized. Is this due to the station name used in this session ?
Can the list of known stations be changed or extended easily ?

> and the thing that causes the full collapse is that there are short integer valued columns (I suspect).  I should look at FITLD to see if it can fix that on reading a file...

> 31DEC11 has code to change short-integer columns into long-integer ones on input.

Ok.

> Use 31DEC11 FITLD and I suspect your INDXR failure will be over.

The INDXR error occurs precisely when using 31DEC11 FITLD. 31DEC07 INDXR runs smoothly but I have an error after that with ANTA (that is why I wanted to test the process with 31DEC11):

VANOIS> ANTAB1: Task ANTAB  (release of 31DEC07) begins
VANOIS> ANTAB1: NXREAD: INCREASE PARAMETER MAXNX
VANOIS> ANTAB1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
VANOIS> ANTAB1: vanoise      31DEC07 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

BTW, in which file(s) can I find this parameter ? Can it be modified safely without disturbing everything ? Which value should I use for this parameter ?

> Two questions - did you use 31DEC11 FITLD to read the file?

Yes. I used 31DEC07 FITTP, then 31DEC11 FITLD.

> What correlator is producing these data?

These are data from the 24-hour IYA09 astrometric super-session (35 stations, more than 200 quasars observed). More info here:
http://ivscc.gsfc.nasa.gov/program/iya09/
http://lupus.gsfc.nasa.gov/sess/sesshtml/2009/iya09.html

Data were correlated at Haystack, then loaded into AIPS (31DEC07) thanks to a program called MK4IN (I suppose MK4IN is very similar to MK3IN, but adapted for Mark4 correlator data). This program was written by Walter Alef at Bonn Max Planck Institute for Radioastronomy ; I attached the distribution installed on our server to this email.

Short excerpt from MK4IN description file:
"""MK4IN uses the HOPS input/output routines to read the cross-spectral output created by fourfit and converted the calibrated data into AIPS internal format along with ancillary information which was read from the correlator control files together with the station coordinates, frequencies observed and other parameters..."""