[daip] problems with RLDLY

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 13 11:24:03 EST 2011

Lister, Matthew L wrote:
> I see that in the new version of AIPS CRSFRING has been replaced with RLDLY. I am not able to get this
> task to correct the phases across the IFs in BL149CZ. The task corrects the slope within the IF, but does not
> correct for the phase offsets _between_ IFs.  This is a VLBA dataset with identical parameters to previous BL149
> segments that have been reduced successfully with CRSFRING.
>
> Plots can be found at
> http://www.physics.purdue.edu/~mlister/LLPLOT.PS
> http://www.physics.purdue.edu/~mlister/LRPLOT.PS
> http://www.physics.purdue.edu/~mlister/LRPLOT_PRE_RLDLY.PS
> The first is the parallel hand POSSM plot pre RLDLY, and the 2nd is the cross hand plot post-RLDLY, 3rd is
> the cross hand before RLDLY was run.

The presumption I had about this was the following.  If you are going to
image cross-hands, then you will need to run PCAL and RLDIF.  The latter
corrects for the R-L phase difference.  Note that RL and LR are not
supposed to have 0 phase but instead to have a phase related to the
source polarization - something unknown to RLDLY or CRSFRING for that
matter.  Note also that CRSFRING remains available although it is a real
kludge of a procedure.