[daip] aips installation on mac OS 10.6

Kazi Rygl kazi.rygl at ifsi-roma.inaf.it
Wed Jan 12 11:17:58 EST 2011

Dear Eric Greisen,

I am a newby on the mac and I am trying to install aips.
My computer is a 64bit macbookpro with intel core 2 duo processor running
with OS 10.6.6 snowleopard.
I have Xcode, X11, gcc (686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1) gfortran
(i686-apple-darwin8-gfortran-4.2) a readline program already installed. The
output of the error messages during ./install are plotted below. At the
bottom of the mail I attach the output of .AIPSRC .
Any tips or advice on how I can adjust the software on my laptop to be
compatible for aips are very much welcome.

Thank you in advance for your time,
Best regards,
Kazi

PS: I cannot run the binary install because the rsync port is blocked by my
network

Running the install script I get first this error:

AipsWiz: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -O -o PP.EXE PP.f ZTRLOP.o
ld: warning: in ZTRLOP.o, file was built for unsupported file format which
is not the architecture being linked (i386)
Undefined symbols:
  "_zadrsz_", referenced from:
      _MAIN__ in ccgiieXr.o
  "_zgetch_", referenced from:
      _h2chr_ in ccgiieXr.o
  "_zputch_", referenced from:
      _chr2h_ in ccgiieXr.o
  "_ztrlo2_", referenced from:
      _ztrlog_ in ccgiieXr.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build PP.EXE in
/Users/kazi/aips/31DEC11/MACINT/SYSTEM/MYAIPS
AipsWiz: Error: This will prevent INSTEP2 from starting!!!!
AipsWiz: Error: You need to find out why it failed, but for now
AipsWiz: Error: you can proceed with the rest of the install...
AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge::

Then if I continue I get the XAS error, even though I removed the -axP
options from the XAS.SHR script.

AipsWiz: XAS.SHR appears to be already unpacked.
AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...
rm -f *.o xas XAS
/usr/bin/gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -axP -c xas.c
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-axP"
make: *** [xas.o] Error 1
AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.

# AIPSRC created by install.pl on Wed Jan 12 15:17:59 2011
#
LAST_VERSION = 31DEC11
AIPS_ROOT = /Users/kazi/aips
GROUP = staff
GROUPWRITE = YES
INSTALL_FROM_CD = NO
INSTALL_FROM_NET = NO
ARCH = MACINT
IS64 = NO
SITE = MYAIPS
THISHOST = LOCALHOST
HOSTS = "LOCALHOST"
PRINTERS = "boccaccio:PS~NONE~_(no_description_supplied_by_installer)_"
DATA_AREAS = "/Users/kazi/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1:NONE"
TAPE_DRIVES = ""
TPHOSTS = "127.0.0.1"
PRINTMED = A4
FORT = /usr/local/bin/gfortran
FORTOPT = -c -axP -w90 -w95 -cm -ip -save -align all
CCOM = /usr/bin/gcc
CCOMOPT = -c -O3 -ip -axP -I/Users/kazi/aips/31DEC11/INC
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
LINK = /usr/local/bin/gfortran
READLINE = /opt/local/lib/libreadline.a
DOTWOLIB = NO