[daip] Problem Starting AIPS

Nakaba, Rebecca N. RNakaba at bennington.edu
Mon Feb 7 16:08:59 EST 2011

Hi Current Designated AIP,
I'm having a problem starting AIPS.  I have already uninstalled everything and reinstalled it once, just in case it was some sort of fluke.  I have a Mac OSX 10.5.8, and I followed all the special Mac instructions, and the instructions for the install wizard regarding the binary installation for the 31DEC11, the most recent, version of AIPS.  It installed fine (I got the 'Let's make a banana split message'), but when I type the command of 'aips' into the xterm, I get this:

bash-3.2$ aips
bash: aips: command not found

These are the settings I set up during the installation:
 AIPS_ROOT (screen 3): /AIPS_ROOT
       Group (screen 4): staff
 Group Write (screen 4): YES
Architecture (screen 5): MACINT
   Site name (screen 5): LOCALHOST
  AIPS hosts (screen 6): LOCALHOST
  Data areas (screen 7): /AIPS_ROOT/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
    Printers (screen 8): Photosmart_C4500_series__FF8972_          TEXT      NONE  Lazenby Printer
  Paper type (screen 8): A
 Tape drives (screen 9):
  Tape hosts (screen 9): 127.0.0.1

I used the default settings whenever possible.
Let me know if there is anything else I can tell you.  Thanks so much for your time,
Rebecca Nakaba