[daip] question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 20 11:35:32 EST 2011

Farhad Zadeh wrote:
> Hi Eric.
> It is OK. I'll find some other program to do the compression.
> Thanks.
>
> I have now another question.
> I am trying  to export plot files using slice and then
> make multiple 1d plots on one figure outside aips.
> However, the printed plot files are given in pixel numbers
> and not actual coordinates. This is really time
> consuming to put a plot together. Any chance that we
> could have real coordinates? Is there a program that
> plots multiple plots on one figure in aips?
> Cheers,
> Farhad
>

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011, Eric Greisen wrote:
>
>> Farhad Zadeh wrote:
>>> Eric,
>>> Thanks. I know about ISPEC but I need  to compress  the flux
>>> in one axis of a FITS image and make a new FITS file.
>> The task SQASH reduces a 3+-dimensional image to 2 dimensions.
>> We do not have anything that will go to 1 dimension at present.
>> You do not want a SL file since we do not have a way to write it on a
>> FITS tape.
>>
>> I suspect that SQASH could be extended to sum over axis 2 as well as
>> axes 3,4,5,6,7.  Is that what you want - your request is not entirely
>> clear to me.

I intend to try SQASH to see if it can squash even the 2nd axis - then a
TRANS and setting of BLC, TRC should do what you wanted.

On slices, the task SLICE not SL2PL prints the values and I suppose one
could add an option to include coordinates.  They take a lot of room for
RA, DEC to VLB accuracy plus Frequency but it can be done.

There are many kinds of plots - I assume you do not want a contour plot
on top of a slice or something nuts like that.  Multiple slices on the
same plot could perhaps be made to work.  But you can do this by hand if
you force SL2PL to use a fixed scale and LWPLA as well, then the various
PostScript pages are on the same scale and you can edit the PostScript
to put them on the plot together.  HELP POSTSCRIPT will give
suggestions.  Note that AIPS PostScript files are commented and very
intelligible esp compared to the ones you get from other software packages.

You can test the overlapping using the TV with DOTV=1 and different
GRCHAN (not 0) for the different plots.