[daip] FRING problem for too many antennas

Olaf Wucknitz wucknitz at astro.uni-bonn.de
Tue Dec 20 05:59:05 EST 2011

Hi,

I experience a problem using FRING on a LOFAR dataset with 49 stations.
The task crashes at the end when writing to the history file with the
following error message:

forrtl: severe (27): too many records in I/O statement, unit -5, file
Internal Formatted Write

This seems to be caused by the following lines in FRING.FOR (starting in
line 1540):

C                                        Antenna weights.
       LIMIT = 9
       WRITE (HILINE,2050) TSKNAM, (ANTWT(I), I = 1,LIMIT)
       CALL HIADD (LUN2, HILINE, BUFF2, IERR)
       IF (IERR.NE.0) GO TO 190
       IF (NANT.LE.LIMIT) GO TO 190
       LIMIT = MIN (18, NANT)
       WRITE (HILINE,2051) TSKNAM, (ANTWT(I), I = 10,LIMIT)
       CALL HIADD (LUN2, HILINE, BUFF2, IERR)
       IF ((IERR.NE.0) .OR. (NANT.LE.LIMIT)) GO TO 190
       LIMIT = MIN (27, NANT)
       WRITE (HILINE,2051) TSKNAM, (ANTWT(I), I = 19,LIMIT)
       CALL HIADD (LUN2, HILINE, BUFF2, IERR)
       IF ((IERR.NE.0) .OR. (NANT.LE.LIMIT)) GO TO 190
       LIMIT = MIN (36, NANT)
       WRITE (HILINE,2051) TSKNAM, (ANTWT(I), I = 27,LIMIT)
       CALL HIADD (LUN2, HILINE, BUFF2, IERR)

The final write should really start with I=28 instead of 27. But since the
number of antennas may be even higher, I suggest something like the
following instead:

C                                        Antenna weights.
       ITEMP = 1
160   LIMIT = MIN (ITEMP+8,NANT)
       WRITE (HILINE,2050) TSKNAM, (ANTWT(I), I = ITEMP,LIMIT)
       CALL HIADD (LUN2, HILINE, BUFF2, IERR)
       ITEMP = ITEMP + 9
       IF (ITEMP.LE.NANT) GO TO 160

UVFLG is also producing corrupted flags for the same data set, but I still
have to find out why. This may also be a problem of the data and not of
UVFLG.

Cheers,
Olaf