[daip] AIPS remote TV on a Mac

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sun Sep 19 16:37:07 EDT 2010

Julie Grant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to run AIPS on another computer through my laptop
> and I cannot get the TV to work properly.  This is my error message:
>
> Tape assignments:
>     Tape 1 is REMOTE
>     Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called Julie-Grant
> TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST Julie-Grant  ***
> START_AIPS: Checking if Julie-Grant is reachable via ssh...
> START_AIPS: Cannot start remote TV servers on Julie-Grant, sorry!
> START_AIPS: remote command gave this error:
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname Julie-Grant: Name or service not known
> START_AIPS: check your secure shell setup, in particular
> START_AIPS: whether you have a passphrase enabled.  You may
> START_AIPS: wish to try 'ssh -v Julie-Grant pwd' to see
> START_AIPS: what the problem is.
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
>
> Since I am using a Mac I went to the help page and followed the
> instructions:
>
> My Mac will not do TV displays from a compute server
>
> However, I cannot do step 2 since there is no Firewall button on my
> Sharing folder in System Preferences.  I'm running OS X 10.5.8 which I
> believe is Leopard.
>
> Since I don't understand the error message I have no idea where to
> start to solve this problem.  Any help or ideas would be great.

Macs do not necessarily play well with others but we can try...

Is AIPS installed on Julie-Grant?  If so, try starting AIPS there so
that the TV server is running.  Then when you start aips on the other
machine, tell it
        aips tv=Julie-Grant tvok
and see what happens.

If AIPS is not installed on Julie-Grant, then you must run the TV on the
  server.  A simple "aips" command does not do this but instead assumes
that it is installed and tries remotely to get it to start the TVs.  Try
  aips tv=local.