[daip] AIPS remote TV on a Mac

Julie Grant jkgrant at ucalgary.ca
Thu Sep 16 10:59:51 EDT 2010

Hi,

I have been trying to run AIPS on another computer through my laptop
and I cannot get the TV to work properly.  This is my error message:

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called Julie-Grant
TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST Julie-Grant  ***
START_AIPS: Checking if Julie-Grant is reachable via ssh...
START_AIPS: Cannot start remote TV servers on Julie-Grant, sorry!
START_AIPS: remote command gave this error:
ssh: Could not resolve hostname Julie-Grant: Name or service not known
START_AIPS: check your secure shell setup, in particular
START_AIPS: whether you have a passphrase enabled.  You may
START_AIPS: wish to try 'ssh -v Julie-Grant pwd' to see
START_AIPS: what the problem is.
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number

Since I am using a Mac I went to the help page and followed the
instructions:

My Mac will not do TV displays from a compute server

However, I cannot do step 2 since there is no Firewall button on my
Sharing folder in System Preferences.  I'm running OS X 10.5.8 which I
believe is Leopard.

Since I don't understand the error message I have no idea where to
start to solve this problem.  Any help or ideas would be great.

Thank you,
Julie