[daip] New Ticket - [!OGI-932442]: Improving the Performance of AIPS

Dugan Witherick do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 15 09:58:20 EDT 2010

New Ticket: Improving the Performance of AIPS

Hi,

I am trying to improve the performance of AIPS for a colleague and I would appreciate any advice you might be able to give me.  We have an AIPS installed on a Linux server running a 64bit version of Scientific Linux 4.4 (due to be upgraded).  AIPS has been built using with the Intel Fortran and C Compiler 11 and the data folder has been configured to be on a RAID 5 disk array - I'm aware that this will give terrible IO performance and am looking to reconfigure the drive to improve performance.

By setting the FORT_BUFFERED environment variable to TRUE, it appears as though the program does run slightly faster although CPU usage still never hits 99-100%. Is there any way in which the program can be made to use more memory to boost performance as it seems to be using very little (around 26MB)?  Also, are you aware whether there has been any success with using the auto-parallelizer built into the Intel compilers?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Dugan Witherick

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: OGI-932442